Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chauvinist


"You are such a chauvinist!" accused a female colleague from across the office cafeteria table I was at. Loud enough for colleagues on neighbouring tables to turn around and give a inquisitive look. Taken by surprise, I had nothing to say in my defense.
-
I had made the mistake of expressing a simple wish. A wish that the baby my sister was expecting in December 2012 be a boy. There were some very clearly selfish reasons why I wanted a nephew, even though the parents-to-be, my sister and bro-in-law heavily favoured a daughter. 
-
It all goes back to my days of after-school cricket. My idol of batting technique being Rahul Dravid, I liked to be SOLID at the crease. In 8 overs a side cricket, my impeccable front foot defensive technique was not widely appreciated or encouraged. 
-
Most times, with a lingering sense of unfulfilled batting practice, I forged match-winning partnerships with a big hitting batsman, forced to knock the ball around for singles to give him strike as hitting the ball out of the park didn't gel with my natural philosophy.
-
My plans for my future nephew-to-be were simple. I would brainwash him into wanting to be a fast bowler and then practice my batting. That's all. Batting nirvana right here on earth, I dreamt of. "Why can't a niece be a fast bowler, huh?" continued my colleague's interrogation. That I realized, was a painfully true question. Why can't she?
-
If I was comfortable with girls becoming doctors, engineers, scientists, artists and politicians, why the barrier when they wanted to be sportspersons? Too manly a thing for a girl to take up? I guess that was definitely my line of thinking but when challenged, the stupidity of such an opinion was evident.
-
More so in my case, as I was usually the first one to be plucked out of the Republic Day march-past trials for my gloriously un-coordinated marching while my sister led the contingent bearing the flag. The only trophies which came home on school Sports Day were those won by my sister as I hadn't even threatened to come close to qualifying for the heats.
-
On December 11th, 2012, my beautiful little niece, Annika arrived with fanfare and adulation from all around. Given her vigorous physical antics even in her crib, I see potential for my brain-washing scheme to come through. Boy or girl, it is all irrelevant. All I care for is that I will bat.
-
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations... Hehe, I don't even remember ever watching you batting.. :D :D

Just kidding..

Riti Roy said...

Nice ! Seems like your wish will be granted , she seems athletic enough :)

Roy said...

@Psych: I can't have been a fun to watch batsman anyway! I usually 'take my own sweet time'.

@Didi: She will be... I just need to talk her into it!

Kunal said...

'impeccable front foot technique'..yo Roy..i remember you batting. You were our opener on more than one occasion. Yeah..I remember your technique...though not the runs! :P

Roy said...

@Kunnu: Kabhi set hokey runs bananey kaa time hi kahan diyaa! :P