Tuesday, December 29, 2020

A Familiar Fire: Notes from the Last Frontier


Glenn Highway wasn't something which I had imagined Alaska would be. It was green, it was watery, it was lush in an almost tropical way. As I drove through the landscape of southern Alaska, in all manner & form I was missing home. This was doubly strange as Alaska was the adventure which I had come looking for, precisely because I wanted to experience something totally different. In such a state of mind lunch time found me near a series of cabin restaurants on the Matanuska River. Though all of them looked cozy, I naturally gravitated to one which had jambalaya on the menu. Jambalaya is a one pot recipe with rice, chicken, shrimp and sausages combining with the choicest spiciness from the American South – a biryani American style. I knew what I needed then, not baked/steamed/grilled but the comfort of spice and rice and jambalaya answered the call. The proprietors were two old ladies who were happy to talk about India and in their service, a strange food connection was made. Louisiana style rice in Alaska bringing the comfort of familiar flavours to someone who lived two more oceans away to the east.

[http://bit.ly/13-alaska]

[Part of the Series: Notes from the Last Frontier]





 

No comments: