Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Arrival: Notes from the Last Frontier

 


It's pretty close to midnight but the mountains are cold and clear as I look down upon them. The plane circles around the Chugach mountains aiming towards Anchorage airport. Here is this place I have read and dreamt of enough and within a few minutes I will be setting foot on its hallowed soil. All the stories of adventures – bears, sled dogs and the great outdoors are going to be within reach. National Geographic magazines and articles; all those Discovery Channel documentaries - this was the base of them all. It was easy to imagine myself as an explorer here, pretend that I wasn’t this urban mollycoddled inept Indian. That there was so much natural light around at that time of night was a reminder of the strangeness of the land I was in. Even though everything looked similar once I set foot on the ground, it was hard to fight the feeling that nothing ever would be the same.

[http://bit.ly/1-alaska]

 [Part of the Series: Notes from the Last Frontier]






No comments: