Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Eternal Sunshine: Notes from the Last Frontier


Mountain. Sea. River. Rock. The road weaves past them supporting me and my ever-widening eyes. The sun in May does not take a break and does not need one. I, however, had been warned. Human eyes are used to the light of day dimming. It’s what gives them the cue to them and the brain to start winding down. I was told that in the absence of darkness, the alarm bells for approaching fatigue go AWOL and the result is catastrophic failure. Indeed, the sun would almost never go down except for a brief 20-minute window from say 1:00 to 1:20 in the morning when it would be evening like – essentially golden hour light all day. The moose and reindeer lining up next to the highway as my car drove through endless landscapes of forests and mountains brought excitement and worry at the same time. Despite the dire predictions, Lady Luck remained on my side. I did overdo myself driving at times for 16 hours a day without incident. I was not here every day and every extra hour of daylight was a reason to go humming deeper into Alaska’s heart. 

[http://bit.ly/12-alaska]

[Part of the Series: Notes from the Last Frontier]





 

No comments: